Wednesday, 14 March 2012

Fun in the Snow (Aigle Region - Glacier 3000 - Interlaken - Jungfrau Region)


20-22 September 2011

What a change we found soon after leaving busy and crowded Italy. Enough of the Duomo's, Piazza's, museums, long queues, and the very hot weather. We are now going to enjoy the scenic drive and the beautiful scenery going  to Switzerland. Our "young and handsome" tour guide Ken reminds us of our itinerary on the Aigle Region, what to expect and the different timings of our tour. Excited as always, I tried not to fall asleep so as not to miss a single view on our way. We will be having a 3-4hours drive from Aosta. 

When we  finally got the key of our room, I threw our luggage inside and go straight to the terrace. I open the window and saw this view.....

This fairy tale Swiss mountain village I saw only in pictures really exists!
I took as many photos as I can until the sun sets while my husband Jonathan is busy arranging our stuff haha, oh well it's his turn now so he can't complain. Even if it's a bit cold outside, we stayed on the terrace, drinking a glass of chardonnay and enjoyed the cool breeze of the mountain air.

We had a late start on our first morning in Switzerland. Ken reminds us to take things slower. The view outside the hotel are awesome. Beautiful small wooden houses with colorful flowers...... it's almost like a doll house. We walk for just a few minutes and we find ourselves in perfect piece, surrounded by all the wonders of alpine nature.



This morning was the first time I had a full view of the snow-capped mountains. Honestly, the views around me are insanely beautiful. All you can see is awe-inspiring majestic landscape, yeah its like I'm in a kingdom and I am the queen yay......I'm almost lost of words.

Glacier 3000 (Alpine Coster Ride)

Right after our sumptuous breakfast, we were given each time to take photographs of the beautiful village of Leysin while others are helping Enrico, our coach driver,  loading our luggage. We were now going on a cable car ride for some adventure. Yeah, its gonna be a fun filled day for all of us.


  We were gifted a very good weather today, perfect for our activity. The cloud lifted in time, as we drove through Swiss countryside with the mountains, cows, barn houses, pine trees and green green grass around. We need to reach Les Diablerets or "little devils" (as they called it) on time so that we can take the first ascent of the cable car.



....I am ready, I am ready, I am ready say it 100x haha. (A breathtaking cable car will take you up in 20 minutes to the glacier of Les Diablerets, 9000 ft. high).

Some of the unforgettable sights and majestic panorama of the highest summits in the Alps.

  Whew! I am no longer acrophobic haha. As we go higher, the mountains just got bigger and bigger and this time I can't hardly look down. While the rest of the group are walking inside  the cable car to take pictures in every directions, I am just on one side, holding very tight and looking on the same direction upward (yet I can still smile, ah for the sake of pictures). After almost twenty minutes, we're on top. We took our ticket for the coaster ride and prepare ourselves for the adventure.

 "If you want to experience true adrenaline, then you must take a ride on the world's highest bobsleigh track with full speed" according to the Glacier website. Oh my God, do I really need to do this? I am sweating inside and my heart beats faster and faster as we gets closer to our turn. We were given the final instruction and reminded that the speed is controlled by a brake which is  controlled by the rider and you have to hold the brake off all the way down to the run. But be warned, it takes some strength to hold the brake in the “off” positions, and if you have insufficient arm strength, you will be able to go slow. Whew, this is it, no turning back for me.....so ready set

GO.........and yes I made it haha!
The roller coaster races down the slopes with ten curves, six waves, three jumps and two bridges. Good thing the next coaster did not came close to us or else  we will be forced to take the full speed. Our adventure haven't finished yet, we took the chairlift ride over to Scex Rouge.

 Ms. Tan, the youngest among our group bravely rode the alpine coaster twice with the full speed, oh well maybe if I am at her age, I can also do it haha. We walked further to reach  the Glacier Peak (Le Bervedere Peak) at 9,840 ft. I am amazed by the breathtaking, 360-degree panorama of the Vaudois, the Bernese and the Valaisan Alps and great views of twenty-four 4,000 meters-peaks including the Mont Blanc and the Matterhorn.







 After our exhausting walking up and down the peak, we took our lunch at restaurant designed by famous Swiss architect Mario Botta, which is located at an altitude of 3,000 meters. We were served the 3 main course meals with a wine, just like any ordinary meal with a salad & chicken, baby back ribs, a dessert of ice cream. We were given some free time to rest and enjoy the beauty of the Swiss Alps around. It's a tiring long day but I have a very big smile on my face because I have achieved again something for myself, an experience I will treasure for a lifetime.

INTERLAKEN - The City of Sights

Leaving the Aigle region was difficult because we were just blown away with the amazing scenery. Its really hard to leave such a place where you find a true relaxation just by sitting on the terrace, breathing in and out the freshest air that surrounds you. Its almost past 4 o'clock in the afternoon when we passed by Lake Thun, approaching Interlaken. Interlaken means "between the lakes" located in between the Lakes of Brienz and Thun.


We only had a short break, enough to stretch our arms and legs after another hours of bus ride. We had a perfect  timing this time, enough to stroll the city and haggle for some souvenirs before our much awaited Swiss cheese fondue dinner, yay!


 We have ample time to enjoy souvenir shopping along Hoheweg, the main shopping street in Interlaken. Popular souvenir gifts include expensive Swiss watches (Rolex), affordable Swiss chocolates (Cailler and Lindt) and a huge numbers of popular Swiss army knives, cow bells and cuckoo clocks. The clock strikes 7pm and we're off to one of Interlaken's popular BEBBIS cheese fondue restaurant.




 A trip to Interlaken wouldn’t be complete without experiencing fondue.  Popular fondues include cheese and chocolate, but in Switzerland, meat fondue or "Chinoise" is widely available. Rolled shaved meat (beef) is dipped into a pot over a small burner with vegetable salad, dipping sauce and a wine. We were also entertained by their energetic  singer-dancer host. We really had fun and a great time in Bebbis.
We arrived at our hotel a little late. It has been a very long and tiring day and even if I forced myself to get in bed, all I can see are the wonders of the nature. I wanted to pull the time  so that I can have a sight again of the beauty of Interlaken. I woke up earlier than my alarm clock, prepared my camera phone and excited to get outside the hotel. My gracious goodness, I blinked several times thinking I am just dreaming but its absolutely real. If there's any word other than perfect, then it can describe this heavenly place. 










I didn't notice the time, I was so busy taking photographs of the most beautiful panoramic landscape I have seen so far. We came late for the morning breakfast but it doesn't matter. I have a biscuits to eat inside the bus to keep me full until our next destination. After our light homemade yoghurt breakfast, we heard cowbells and we saw the traffic jam along the road. I can say that  were just so lucky....




We were surprised to see cow parades with the biggest cowbells in their neck. They are celebrating the end of the bountiful summer. We were caught in the traffic jam. We followed several numbers of big cows all the way and our driver Enrico couldn't find any other way to avoid them. I feel sad we had to leave this city. But our day haven't started yet. We will be exploring the Jungfrau region, known as the top of Europe.

Jungfrau Region (Top of Europe)

 If you’re brave enough to face your fear of heights, then this is probably the most amazing adventure you will ever have. Jonathan keeps on reminding me about the altitude sickness. He held my hand and gave me encouragement that I can do it and we will be together on the top.  Originally, our itinerary includes the Top of Europe, but due to unforseen circumstances like the cow parade we encountered, we had to cut it short up to Kleine Scheidegg of 6,672 ft high just to make it on time . We rode the train and as expected, beautiful scenic views welcome us as we go up.



Standing at an altitude of 6,762 feet or 2061 meters. Now the stunning Eiger, Monch, and the Jaungfrau mountains are visible here. Jonathan, I think is the most happiest person in the world now.This place can be the jump off spot for great hiking and exploring some adventures around the area. At this time, I felt light headed and slightly out of breath. I took a short rest and sat down for some refreshment. I think its altitude sickness. After an hour, I'm back and our adventure continues.




I was able to reach this far but this time I felt extremely dizzy. Jonathan never stops giving his encouragement, pulling my hand as we go higher, but I decided not to join and let him go. I walked down slowly drinking a bottled water and inhaling mint flavored vaporizer.

 On my way down, I saw this train passing by the village. It was like a toy train set played by children traveling around all this cool scenery. Everything is just magical, I still couldn't believe I am on this place. Two hours have passed by and Jonathan haven't back yet. I know he's hungry and thirsty but with all the awe-inspiring pictures he had, I think he'll be ok.



Jonathan reached the Eiger Walk, a trail at the base of Jungfrau before entering the tunnel going up to the Top of Europe. The walk is in a magnificent mountain setting and can be made from the Eigergletsscher to Kleine Scheidegg station. According to him, the downhill takes forty minutes while the ascent takes about fifty minutes.

I was in the most perfect place right now with the perfect sight I can imagine.  Leaving again this place is like a heartbreak, it's nothing compared to standing directly in front of you with your own eyes.  This adventure is truly a vacation beyond imagination. Next stop, Bern and Lucerne.


No comments:

Post a Comment